Reminder Regarding BISD Inclement Weather Procedures
Brownwood ISD would like to remind parents and the community of our policies regarding school delays, closures and the communication portals for weather announcements. When inclement weather occurs, Brownwood ISD will follow the guidelines outlined below. If you have any questions about District policy, see our webpage at www.brownwoodisd.org or call BISD Central Support Center at 325.643.5644.
INCLEMENT WEATHER PROCEDURES
When inclement weather is a possibility, Brownwood ISD district officials continually monitor weather conditions during the overnight and early morning hours. The district takes several factors into consideration before making a decision to cancel, delay, or dismiss school early due to inclement weather. These primary factors include: the health, safety and welfare of students and staff; the transportation of students to and from school; and the disruptions caused when school starts late, dismisses early or is cancelled.
Cancellations, Delays and Early Releases – How Decisions Are Made
When inclement weather threatens normal school operations, the following steps are taken:
- The District’s Director of Transportation, Assistant Superintendent, and other staff will evaluate the roadways and travel conditions across the district.
- The Superintendent consults with BISD Director of Transportation, Assistant Superintendent, local emergency management officials, TxDOT, and the Brown County Sheriff’s Office.
- After taking into account all the information that is received from external and internal sources, the Superintendent will make a decision as early as possible whether to delay or cancel school.
The Communication Process – What Happens Next
When a decision is made to cancel, delay school, or dismiss school early, the district will notify parents using the SchoolMessenger communication system and the Brownwood ISD website. In addition, information about school closures, delays, or early dismissal will be communicated through the following media, including but not limited to:
- Local television stations: KTXS, KTAB, and KRBC
- Local radio stations: KOXE, The Breeze, and KXYL
- Brownwood Twitter: @BWDISD
- Brownwood ISD Facebook
Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions, we ask that parents and staff monitor local media, the BISD website, and email before heading to school or sending children to the bus stop. An important rule of thumb to note is that if there is no announcement from Brownwood ISD, then classes will be held on a normal schedule.
Brownwood ISD parents and guardians should make sure their contact information is up to date in ParentPortal. Instructions for getting School Messenger notifications can be found by clicking the link below.