Watch D.O.G.S. Kick-Off Events Scheduled for September
Unleash the WATCH DOGS! Annual kick-off/sign-up events are coming up for Woodland Heights Elementary and East Elementary.
The Woodland Heights Elementary WATCH D.O.G.S. kick-off/sign-up and pizza night will be held on Thursday, September 19, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. for Woodland Heights Elementary students and their male parental figures (dads, stepdads, grandfathers, etc.). The event will be located in the school cafeteria (3900 4th Street).
The East Elementary WATCH D.O.G.S. kick-off/sign-up and pizza night will be held on Monday, September 16, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. for East Elementary students and their male parental figures (dads, stepdads, grandfathers, etc.). The event will be located in the school cafeteria (2700 Vincent St.).
The WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) program consists of fathers, stepfathers, godfathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, and neighbors participating as “watch dogs” through this innovative “father figure involvement” program with two primary goals:
- To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
- To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
- Students gain positive male role models.
- Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears, the presence of a father or father figure will provide an additional deterrent to bullying, enhance a sense of security in the building, and will help to create an environment conducive to learning.
- Father figures get a glimpse of their student’s everyday world, learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing and gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life in three critical areas including: academic performance, self-esteem, and social behavior. These men work alongside the educators to help as crossing guards, car/bus rider facilitators, hallway monitors, library assistants, lunchroom helpers, classroom and homework tutors and playground/gymnasium coaches. Every school year these men have a positive impact on the lives of countless kids.