While it is not required, toilet training before Pre-K is strongly encouraged. In fact, now is the time to concentrate your training efforts so the transition into Pre-K is smoother for your child. Learning to use the toilet independently is a major milestone for all children, and at Brownwood ISD we understand that each child may reach that milestone differently. Our educators partner with families to ensure that all children feel supported both at home and at school throughout the process of toilet training.
As a family member, here’s how you can help support your child’s independence with toileting, whether at home or at
- Dress them in clothing that is easy to remove independently for toileting. Elastic waistbands are recommended, but overalls and belts are strongly discouraged.
- Have children consistently practice pulling their own pants up and down.
- Encourage children to wipe themselves.
- Always have an extra set of clean clothes or two, including underwear and socks, in your child’s backpack.
- Parents must provide all supplies necessary for keeping your child clean and dry while in the care of BISD.
- Enthusiastically praise your child for all efforts and successes! Never blame or shame a child for having a toileting accident.
- Be patient and consistent! He WILL get it eventually!
Below you will find some additional helpful links and resources that offer toilet-training tips: